Thursday, August 07, 2008

Garden moths

It was probably not the best idea to stick the MV out last night having just arrived home from Svalbard and not even unpacked! But the muggy evening had a good night written all over it and this morning I wasn't disappointed as it included three garden and 5km square firsts - Pebble Hook-tip (2), Pine Hawkmoth and Canary-shouldered Thorn. I had such a good catch I had to leave many, and the photos, until lunchtime so I could get some work done!

Pebble Hook-tip, Farcet Fen, 6 Aug 08First record for garden and TL29SW. Caught at light (160w MVB).

Canary-shouldered Thorn, Farcet Fen, 6 Aug 08First record for garden and TL29SW. Caught at light (160w MVB).

Pine Hawkmoth, Farcet Fen, 6 Aug 08 First record for garden and TL29SW. Caught at light (160w MVB).

Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing (left) and Least Yellow Underwing (right), Farcet Fen, 6 Aug 08Two of the scarcer yellow underwings I catch here. Caught at light (160w MVB).

Brown China-mark, Farcet Fen, 6 Aug 08Caught at light (160w MVB).

Silver Y, Farcet Fen, 6 Aug 08Caught at light (160w MVB).

Webb's Wainscot, Farcet Fen, 6 Aug 08I do well for wainscots here, Webb's is one of the rarer species I catch here. Caught at light (160w MVB).

All photos Panasonic Lumix FZ-30

More Cambs moths on the Cambs Moth Gallery.

2 comments:

Duncan said...

A nice collection Steve, I use the same camera for my moth pictures.

Jane Adams said...

Stumbled over your blog and love your collection of moths. I was given a moth trap this year and I've got to sort a light source out for it (so I've got to work out how to add a mercury lamp). I've been to quite a few moth trap mornings and can't believe how great these little creatures are. Far more interesting that you could ever imagine. Glad I found your blog... I will be back. Jane