Monday, July 14, 2008

Garden moths

I've said before, one of the great things about moth trapping is not just the hoped-for migrants and wanderers, but catching those commoner species which are either simply stunning or that I don't trap too often.

Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing, Farcet Fen 13 July 08 One of my favourite species, and the first for 2008. Caught at light (22w actinic).

Elephant Hawkmoth, Farcet Fen, 12 July 08I never tire of catching elephants - big or small. I catch Elephant annually but have to date only caught a single Small Elephant. Caught at light (160 MVB).

Poplar Hawkmoth, Farcet Fen, 12 July 08 The commonest Hawkmoth here, but still stunning. Caught at light (160 MVB).

Brown-line Bright-eye, Farcet Fen, 13 July 08
I can catch upwards of 20 Bright-line Brown-eyes a night, but this is only my fourth Brown-line Bright-eye. Caught at light (22w actinic).

More Cambs moths on the Cambs Moth Gallery website.

No comments: