Thursday, January 19, 2006

Iceland Dove V



The Collared Dove on the right is the fifth different schizochroic individual I have seen in the garden in three years. Schizochroism is pigment abnormaility which is usally found in female. It is regressive, with each successive generation appearing more normal. My original Iceland Dove (Bjork) was near white with black collar and normal bare part and eye colour. I watched as three succcesive gerations appeared with te fourth bird only being told apart form the other doves when it was actually alongside them. This fifth bird looks like the second bird I had here (darker than Bjork) so I guess I may have missed a bird (this birds mother).

See one of my previous birds here

Another example can be seen on the Natural Stone's site

Image | Panasonic Lumix FZ-30 | © Steve Dudley

No comments: